Friday, March 13, 2009

Disney and Sexism




I found this movie very revealing in terms of uncovering some of the stereotypes in regards to women and men and their roles within society. As a child and even now as an adult I love Disney films, I find that they are entertaining and allow children to believe that dreams can come true. At times I find it hard to critique Disney films because there are some things in life that I view as pure entertainment. When I went to Disney land for the first time I was overcome with this magical and fun element and I think that it is important for children to have that opportunity especially growing up. My fear is that when we start to dissect these films, we loose the innocence and fun within them. Children don't want to be bombarded with all these adult realities. As a child there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a princess but they also have to know that they can be lawyers and doctors as well and not limit themselves to typical women dominated fields.

Even more striking, revealed in this short film are the expectations for male characters within many Disney movies. Often the main male character is dubbed with strong muscles, bravery and chivalry traits (Gaston, Beast, Aladdin, Cinderella’s Prince). All other characters that do not fit this mould are simply the side kicks or bumbling fools who get in the way of a real mans work. (Belle's father, Gaston's sidekick, Quasimodo) Focus on such physical appearances, may leave young men with values that are unrealistic.



I also acknowledge that the messages these movies send have an impact on the way children view the world and therefore Disney should also keep in mind that we can entertain and empower at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment